Walk, don't run - Sage advice for lupus warriors ready to tackle the world

When I woke up yesterday, I thought to myself, "This is the first day of the rest of my life...barring unforeseen circumstances, of course." (Do those even happen anymore?!?)

This year marks the first year both my girls will be in school full time, as my second and sweet youngest daughter Bernadette started Kindergarten. I am now the mom of two school aged children. I drop them off in the morning, and I don't see them again until mid afternoon.  I. Can't. Believe. It.

So what am I going to do with my new-found time?

First, I'm looking forward to catching up. On everything. Work stuff, house stuff, personal projects, you name it. We all postpone projects over the summer, and now, it's time to get back to it. My sister-in-law tells me that I can jump start the process by reading, "You Are a Badass", by Jen Sincero. Apparently, it will give me the boost I need to just make things happen. Those items on my eternal to-do list better watch out! (Johnny claims there are things on his to-do list that have been there for 8 years. He always makes me feel better.)

Next, I'm going to resume a more consistent schedule of posting blogs. I love blogging - writing about lupus and the role it plays in my life can be so cathartic. I missed it over the summer, and I look forward to compiling the scribbles and post-its I have sprinkled around the house that say, "Blog post: XXX". I have stuff to say and a perfect venue in which to say it. Stay tuned!

I'm also looking forward to the fall season of the Pillbags. This is always a busy time for us, as we prep inventory for the holidays, line up our gift show schedule, and ramp up our presence on social media. Instagram has been a (very!) fun creative outlet, and I love dressing up the swanky pillbags to show how they can be used the way in which they were intended. Style! Fashion! Cuteness! Travel! Be sure to check us out here - @saraggorman.

I have big plans, I tell you. But I also...have lupus.

So while my to-do lists may look brighter, shiner, and more attractive (read: attainable) than ever, my need to stay healthy takes seniority. While my "free time" may technically start around 8am and go until 3pm, in reality, I have a very inflexible appointment with a nap every day around 1pm. Before then, I can chase as many to-do's as is considered safe and legal.

In an upcoming post, I'll share some of the strategies I'll employ to keep myself on track. A brand new handy Make-A-List note pad is among them. You won't want to miss it!

Comments

Popular Posts