Drinking like it's my Job


So the results of my 2nd 24-U Test are in: The doctor says I have to drink more water. I don't really see how that's possible, as I typically guzzle about 4-16oz water bottles a day, plus 2-3 glasses of tap water, in addition to a glass of juice in the morning and a glass of milk later in the day. I tell you - Baby Bun is going to be swimming in there. Oh wait...Bun already is.

I know exactly what's going to happen with this increase in hydration, though. My bladder is going to start infringing on Bun's territory, and Bun isn't going to like it. There will be kicking, punching, pushing and shoving. Bun's already demonstrated that no one pushes him (or her) around, and I'm sure that my organs are no exception.

Think you're drinking enough water? Read on to find out why you should make sure you are. As promised, below are some highlights from a recent article from the summer issue of Lupus Now.

5 Reasons why people with lupus could be more susceptible to the damaging effects of dehydration:

1) Dehydration can worsen kidney function, a common problem for many people with SLE

2) Some people with lupus have autonomic nerve involvement resulting in hypertension, meaning that their blood pressure drops when they simply stand up. Dehydration could definitely lead to complications for them.

3) Being dehydrated may increase fatigue.

4) Being dehydrated may have a negative impact on the body's ability to clear medication from the system. And aren't we all on enough of that!

5) Prolonged dehydration can increase the heart rate, stressing the body in such a way that could increase the chances for or the effects of a flare.

Lupus Now, Summer 2008, Susan Manzi, M.D., M.P.H.

Comments

Popular Posts